Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Downsizing and All That Goes With It!

Did you ever wonder what it looks like to go from a 2800 square foot house to a 2000 square foot house? It's not pretty and before I show you what I mean ponder this...Why and how do we end up with so much junk? I mean we hang on to everything and anything(most of us do at least, right?).

Do we REALLY need all the stuff that we have or can we manage with less? Now I know that my family of 7 will have more than my friends family of 4, more people mean more things usually. BUT, this time or should I say this move has gotten me to think how much stuff do I we really need. Then I decided I could not handle it anymore and took action. During our big move I honestly wished I was a gypsy, I hated that we had anything and wished so much that we could each just take a suitcase and call it good, you'll see why in a minute.

Now, before I show you the dreaded, not proud of one bit picture let me just say before our move I gave a driveways full of stuff to charity, it was a lot of stuff because I knew I could not take it all with me as it would not all fit in the new house and I felt really good about getting rid of it(lots of it I had wanted to sell but never had the time to do so). I also have a yard sale every year(except for this one, too busy this year)so I had gotten rid of quite a few things then too, my rule is once it goes out it does not come back in! I don't hang on to stuff too badly, I just usually don't have the time to go through it all and I don't have much help from the other family members, but I know that its not enough, I have to make time and I have to get it done, I really want to be able to park in the garage one day!
Ok, well here is the picture of the garage, please don't scream, but I will understand if you do!

You screamed didn't you? It looks really bad, but it could have been sooo much worse IF I hadn't gotten rid of all the other stuff before the move. The sad part is that my house now is pretty much full, so not much of this stuff is coming in, it either has to stay in the garage, a shed or its gone!

I have decided that it is time to continue de-junking, it just has to be done. We are a consumable society and we are always adding more and more to what we have and not getting rid of much. Have you watched those shows on T.V. about people and the stuff they have and it has over run their lives and they don't know what to do and so a cleaning/organizing team comes in and saves the day? I watch them a lot every once in a while, waiting and wanting for someone to come in and do the same thing with my house but I then realized that it probably was not going to happen any time soon and so I needed to be the team to save my day! I have been gathering items, going through boxes and when the phone rings from my local charity asking if I have anything to donate that they can pick up I say YES!

I have also decided I don't need(and neither does my family) all the stuff we have, especially if it has been sitting in a box for a while. I try to go by 5 rules to help me decide what goes and what stays. First, have I used it or have I even seen it in the last 6 months. Second, do I really need it? Third, do I already have one or anything similar? Fourth, could someone else use it or need it more than I? Fifth, should I sell it, donate it or just throw it away.

De-junking or getting rid of things is a great way to help you in being prepared, by knowing what you have and where it is, it can help you at a time when you may need it most! It also makes room for items that are more necessary or for things you might really need in the future. Its also a benefit to rid your items in two other ways, you can sell items and make some extra money(we can all use that right!), my hubby thinks its a waist of time but I would always rather have a garage sale or consign my stuff first and try to get something out of it before I give it away. Second, you will feel so much better about your surroundings with everything in order, you know the old rule, a place for everything and everything in its place, it really does make a difference and does wonders to your stress level!

This has been quite a challenge for us since when we moved, we had 20+ people helping us and boxes were just placed wherever, most in the garage. My keys were packed away in a box on accident and I literally scaled boxes in the garage to find my keys, I could touch the ceiling with my head, scary! But slowly and surely we are making head way and organizing by getting rid of the extra.

This time of the year is when I normally go through all my kids stuff, I get rid of the items I know they don't use or play with and then let them go through the other items and have them curtail it all a little more. All the toys we give to charity or to families that are struggling.

I encourage you to do this, start small, don't make it overwhelming. Even if its just one box a day, do it! Being prepared and handling challenges is important to do. Oh, and if you would like to share how you de-junk, please feel free, I love ideas and suggestions or anything that can make my life easier or help me feel I am not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment